• Question Without Notice-Lannate L Insecticide

On our recent visit to Broken Hill where I hosted a community forum, some alarming reports of animal cruelty and abuse were conveyed to myself and my staff. One of the more distressing issues was that of farmers and landholders using Lannate L insecticide, a highly dangerous schedule seven chemical, to poison wild animals, including wild dogs, foxes and wedge tail eagles. Reports of even insect eating animals such as birds and echidnas dying from consuming ants that have landed on Lannate L baited carcassess has sparked serious community concern.

I questioned the Minister on this issue and it seems he has forgotten that he is the person responsible for animal welfare in this state. Whether an animal is native or not is irrelevant, the issue here is the unauthorised use of a highly dangerous poison on wild animals which causes immense suffering and a slow lingering death.

Question

My question is directed to the Minister for Primary Industries. At my recent community forum in Broken Hill I was told that it was common practice for landholders to purchase Lannate L, a schedule 7 insecticide, known colloquially as “Magic” because if used undiluted on a carcass it will kill anything. I was told of a sheep farmer who killed 60 wedge-tailed eagles in one week.

Will the Minister advise whether the Australian Pesticides and Veterinary Medicines Authority has approved the use of Lannate L for wild animal control?

If not, will the Minister direct his department to investigate this unauthorised and cruel use of a schedule 7 poison?

wedge-tailed-eagle-animal-justice-party-mark-pearson

Answer

Some components of this question relate to the Australian Pesticides and Veterinary Medicines Authority [APVMA], which is a Federal body. The wedge-tailed eagle, which is a native bird, component probably falls under the jurisdiction of the Minister for the Environment. If the question also relates to other pest animals species it may be relevant to my portfolio. What chemicals can be used for agricultural purposes and not for pest management is a responsibility for the APVMA. In good faith, I will take the question on notice and provide the Hon. Mark Pearson with information that is directly relevant to my portfolio rather than taking up too much time of the House now.

• Broken Hill Animal Protection Forum

UPDATE!

As per our public agenda that we distributed in the original invitation, please see the following recorded Minutes and discussion points. For further information please contact Josh Agland – joshua.agland@parliament.nsw.gov.au

1. Welcome and introductions;
      1. Mark, as an MLC represents the whole state of NSW. All NSW residents are urged to contact him with any issues.
      2. Success of animal politics, animal parties around the world.
      3. Attendees include representatives of Broken Hill Pet RescueRRANA (Rescue and Rehabilitation of Australian Native Animals) and local citizens.
      4. Greyhound Ban in NSW.
    2. Introduced Uncle Max. Uncle Max discussed the importance of Totem animals in Indigenous culture, the lores that protect Totem animals and his own personal experiences.
      1. Killing a Totem animal without seeking the permission of the Totem holder is akin to killing that person. A Totem animal is that persons skin.
    3. Updates on the Stock Theft and Trespass Review
    4. Wildlife
      1. Reports of hunters trespassing on private land, killing kangaroos illegally for yabby bait, Joeys kept in vehicles and dumped with wildlife carers.
      2. Now that water is flowing in Menindee, pelicans are being found with fishing line injuries, increases in native water rat drownings from yabby traps.
      3. Serious reports and evidence of landowners and NPWS using an insecticide as a animal poison. Lanatte-L is easily obtained in a concentrated form and is highly toxic. Reports of dog, fox, raptor and other meat eating animals dying from poisoning. Even Echidnas and insect eating birds dying from consuming contaminated ants. Local users call it ‘Magic’ as it kills everything. Various documents supplied to our office regarding this issue from local concerned citizen.
    5. Companion Animals
      1. Unanimous support for mandatory desexing. The problems with undesexed animals in rural areas is amplified due to resources and enforcement.
      2. TNR for free living cats in rural areas is not successful unless people provide easy and regular food to the cats. In populated towns TNR can work, however lack of volunteers/resources and education about free living cats is an issue.
      3. Mobile desexing services and programs, especially within indigenous communities is working, especially when indigenous people are part of the programs and can build community trust. More funding is required.
      4. State wide licensing system for all companion animals should be looked into, this has been implemented in other countries such as Sweden. Fines for non-compliance and enforcement needs to be robust enough to actually act as a deterrent for unlicensed animals, otherwise people may abandon an animal when fined and source a new cheaper animal (puppy factory). Our office to research similar programs for further discussion and consultation.
    6. Closing and thanks.
    mark-pearson-animal-justice-party-broken-hill-visit-2016-uncle-max

Mark Pearson, MLC, Animal Justice Party and Aboriginal Elder Uncle Max Dulu-mun-mun Harrison in Menindee

Invitation to Broken Hill Animal Protection Forum

In February 2016, the Baird Government announced the establishment of the Stock Theft and Trespass Review. This review held numerous public meetings in rural areas in which issues of trespass and both legal and illegal hunting were to be a main discussion point.

My office receives numerous calls from distressed landholders, traumatised by illegal hunting trespass on their properties, it was for this reason that I was keen to attend a public meeting. I had already intended to visit Broken Hill, in order to address the information that had come to me regarding the disturbing rise in the serious egregious cruelty inflicted on animals in both illegal and legal hunting. I had also organised to meet key animal protection and rescue groups.

Upon arrival, I was subject to hostility and defensive resistance from the Nationals member for the electorate, Kevin Humphries who insisted that I leave. I was frogmarched out of the meeting by Mr Humphries before I was even able to ask a question. I was not given the opportunity to raise my concerns regarding the brutality of hunting and its increased incidence on private property and how this terrifies land owners as well as terrifying, maiming and killing animals. It appears this National party member wants to obstruct any constructive discussion to address the growing violent culture of killing animals for sick enjoyment which in turn frightens property owners where these animals live or move through.

I refuse to be shut out of addressing this appalling situation. As promised to the supportive local citizens I am organising a public meeting to address all the above issues as well as local pound reform. I invite any members of the public to attend the Broken Hill Animal Protection Forum to participate in a discussion on issues concerning animal cruelty, abuse and neglect in Broken Hill and surrounds. I have personally sent out invitations to Local MP Kevin Humphries, Broken Hill local Councillors, NSW Police Minister and Shadow Minister, NSW Local Government Minister and Shadow Minister, LAC for the region and Rural Crime Investigators for Broken Hill area, as well as all local police.

A public agenda for the forum can be found HERE

mark-pearson-mlc-animal-justice-party

Chair/Facilitator – Mark Pearson, MLC, Animal Justice Party

uncle-max-harrison-aboriginal-elder-1

Special Guest – Aboriginal Elder Uncle Max Dulu-mun-mun Harrison, Uncle Max

WHEN: Tuesday 6th September

TIME: 7 PM – 9 PM

WHERE: Broken Hill Community Centre – 200 Beryl St, Broken Hill

RSVP by 2nd September 2016

For further information and RSVP please contact: Angela Pollard on 02 9230 2445, angela.pollard@parliament.nsw.gov.au

• Our submission to the Draft Plan of Management of the Brumby

It seems the NPWS and the Office of Environment & Heritage continue to push their mass slaughter agenda, one that will result in brutal cruelty. My office submitted or submission to the Draft Plan of Management in which we address the multitude of inaccuracies and failings of the plan and associated technical reports. Our submission makes a number of sensible, proven, sustainable and most of all humane recommendations to address the lack of science, independence and long term outlook of the plan.

Reading the plan the question has to be asked as to what the proposed slaughter is actually setting out to achieve other than bloodshed. The government is endorsing this slaughter on the supposed huge increase in numbers yet it contradicts itself by saying, in effect, it has no real idea on the numbers. The assertion that fertility control measures are ineffective and the glowing endorsement in the ITRG Report of aerial culling as the best option for animal welfare fly in the face of past mistakes, mistakes that resulted in terrible animal cruelty and suffering.

In light of all this our submission makes three critical recommendations that MUST be implemented now so as the other recommendations and information can be assessed. These 3 critical recommendations are:

“For all the reasons outlined in this submission the Animal Justice Party totally disagrees with the draft Plan and recommends as a matter of urgency and public interest that the following be adopted:
    1. That this draft Plan and wild horse (brumby) management in general be subject to the proper parliamentary scrutiny via a Committee Inquiry.
    2. That this current draft Plan and ongoing processes be placed on immediate hold pending the recommendations of the above inquiry.
    3. Passive trapping and rehoming of suitable horses should continue with increased transparency and responsibility taken by the NPWS.”

To read our full submission please go to our AJP Brumby Plan Submission page.

If you have any questions or concerns please contact Josh – joshua.agland@parliament.nsw.gov.au

mark-pearson-animal-justice-party-brumby-hunter-valley-brumby-association-4

• Busy weekend ahead

It is so energising to witness and be a part of the positive growth of animal advocacy and activism across NSW. This weekend I am lucky enough to be representing the Animal Justice Party across the NSW community in our united quest to improve the lives for all animals.

Saturday, 23rd of July sees me speaking at the official launch of South Coast Animal Advocates group in Batemans Bay NSW.

The South Coast Animal Advocates was originally formed as a Facebook page as part of World Animal Protection’s campaign to end live export. Since late last year, the group has become more than an online presence, and has attracted members who have been meeting regularly.

One of the aims of the group is to be a voice for all animals by advocating animal protection to all members of parliament, particularly our local members for federal and state governments, other political candidates, and local councils.

Other guest speakers include Dr Bidda Jones (Chief Science and Strategy Officer at RSPCA Australia), and Dr Lynn Simpson (former vet on board live export ships, as recently featured on ABC’s 7.30).

Anyone interested in attending or making contact should email tracey@framedbytracey.com 

Sunday, 24th July, I along with many others will walk together to pay our respects to the millions of racing greyhounds who have died in this cruel industry. We will also celebrate NSW Premier Mike Baird’s proposal to legislate the end of greyhound racing in NSW. The March for the Murdered Millions is a nationwide event and for more information please see the Facebook event page.

The ban is not over the line yet, industry is spending tens of thousands of dollars per month not on greyhound welfare but on professional lobby groups, media spin and propaganda gurus. We MUST show the government how much we support the ban, we must support the brave decision of Mike Baird, lets show NSW Labor and Luke Foley that he is so terribly wrong and that those that care for animals are not ‘elitist’ or just from the inner city.

I will be speaking at the event along with Mehreen Faruqi, lets pay our respects to all the animals that have and are suffering at the hands of this industry. Lets celebrate a historical path forward in closing the book on this industry in NSW.

mark-pearson-greyhound-rally-sydney

• Brumby update-Mark to call for a legislative review of the Draft Plan of Management

Mark and his office are utterly appalled at the governments decision to slaughter the Brumby. Having reviewed the reports, the Draft plan of Management and other statements from the Minister for Environment it is apparent that there is NO justification for this slaughter. The draft plan and associated technical review proposes a range of control methods to reduce the population from the estimated 6000 down to 600 over the next 20 years. The so called science and  independent technical review  is so utterly flawed that there is no other option but place this decision and the reasoning behind it under the proper legislative scrutiny.

Reading the report the question has to be asked as to what the proposed slaughter is actually setting out to achieve other than bloodshed. The government is endorsing this slaughter on the supposed huge increase in numbers yet it contradicts itself by saying, in effect, it has no real idea on the numbers. The advised killing methods in the report again seem to be contradictory of community expectations and common sense. The assertion that fertility control measures are ineffective and the glowing endorsement in the report of aerial culling as the best option for animal welfare fly in the face of past mistakes, mistakes that resulted in terrible animal cruelty and suffering. How could any of us forget the infamous aerial cull, reminiscent of a brutal Rambo operation by the NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service (NPWS) in the Guy Fawkes River National Park in October 2000? Terrified horses were driven up against an escarpment by a helicopter as shooters opened fire with semi-automatic rifles, slaughtering more than 600 horses. The slaughter scene depicted horses riddled with bullets suffering slow, agonising deaths. One mare was shot while giving birth whilst new born foals were left to starve because their mothers had been killed.

Mark and his office attended a public community forum in Jindabyne on Saturday 21st of May, the meeting was organised by the Snowy Mountain Brumby Sustainability & Management Group Inc. The meeting was well attended with over 70 with visitors from all areas including Gundagai, Tumut, Tumbarumba, Grenfell, Newcastle, Talbingo, Cooma and the Jindabyne region. Mark addressed the meeting and spoke of his disgust that the government was hell bent on wiping out the Brumby based on bad science, invalid population estimates and the lack of genuine community engagement on the issue. Amongst other sensible resolutions proposed and supported at the meeting Mark proposed a resolution of his own which was adopted unanimously, this being;

‘To support that the Draft Plan of Management and brumby management in NSW generally be referred to relevant Legislative Council Standing Committee (GSC5) for detailed review and to call on the local member and National party to support this review’

On Thursday 26th of May Mark was lucky enough to have a personal visit of the Hunter Valley Brumby Association’s sanctuary. Mark witnessed first hand the great work HVBA is doing to protect, educate and save the Brumby. The HVBA team is a great example of a professional, passionate and experienced advocacy group that rescues and re-homes Brumbies. A big thank you to Kath Massey and Madison Young for allowing us to see first hand the care and love the team has for these animals, it was a truly great experience.

mark-pearson-animal-justice-party-brumby-huntervalley brumby-association-3

Madison Young, Vice President of the Hunter Valley Brumby Assoc, Mack and Mark

Mark Pearson: “It seems we have not learnt from our past mistakes, killing is NOT the answer. I acknowledge that humane management is not a quick fix one size fits all solution. However it is our duty to ensure that we invest and utilise best practice and sound methods of estimating and reporting the true population numbers. Where required, fertility control is to be used and in parallel we must invest in fertility control via humane research and development. Mass slaughter does not equal management and until governments realise this it is likely that the continuous cycle of killing and responsive population growth will continue.”

mark-pearson-animal-justice-party-brumby-hunter-valley-brumby-association-4

Mark with Guy Fawkes Brumby Diesel

Page 2 of 512345